Is Siebel supported to run on 64 Bit Operating System?
Although Siebel is a 32-bit application, it is supported to run on some 64-bit OS.
Here are few things you should keep in mind:
- There is no 64-bit Siebel Enterprise software: Siebel is a 32-bit application. The existence of 64-bit OS, for example “Oracle Solaris on SPARC (64-bit)”, listed as available in Platforms for the Siebel CRM Product on Oracle E-delivery may be causing confusion: please note that selecting any of the 64-bit platforms will still result in 32-bit software being downloaded as Siebel is only available in 32-bit releases.
- Oracle does not offer any Siebel 64-bit clients. However, Siebel 32-bit 7.8.x and 8.x clients (Developer, Mobile/Remote and Siebel Tools) are supported on 64-bit Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.
- The only supported 64-bit Windows Server platforms are 2008 and 2012. Check the System Requirements and Supported Platforms Guides (SR&SP, for Siebel versions up to 126.96.36.199) and the * MOS Certifications application (for Siebel version 188.8.131.52/ 184.108.40.206 and higher), for details on specific versions which are supported on this Operating System.
- Solaris, HP-UX and AIX 64-bit versions are supported because those OS can run 32-bit applications.
- If the SR&SP document or the MOS Certifications application doesn’t explicitly state the 32-bit version, you can assume that the 64-bit version is also supported.
- Web servers must be run in 32-bit mode.
- Oracle client needs to be 32-bit and this needs to be installed separately.
- Siebel Business Applications supports the Oracle 32-bit client. Therefore, if you have installed the Oracle 64-bit client on your Siebel Server, you must include $ORACLE_HOME/lib32 in your LIBPATH (AIX) or LD_LIBRARY_PATH (Linux or Oracle Solaris) variable definition. If you require $ORACLE_HOME/lib for non-Siebel applications, make sure $ORACLE_HOME/lib32 is placed in front of $ORACLE_HOME/lib ).
- The Siebel Server supports only the 32-bit DB2 client. Verify that you have not installed the 64-bit DB2 client on the Siebel Servers. If you have installed the 64-bit DB2 client, replace it with the 32-bit client. IBM supports the 32-bit DB2 client working with the 64-bit DB2 8.x and 9.x RDBMS.
- If Siebel applications need to invoke third party software directly (by invoking its libraries), for this to work the third party software also needs to be 32 bit (e.g. Informatica IIR DQ)
- To invoke the standard Siebel (thin) client in high interactivity (HI), Internet Explorer needs to be the 32 bit version (when running on 64-bit operating systems like Windows 7)
Let me know in case of any queries.
Cubastion is among a very small number of specialized Siebel CRM Oracle Gold Partners in SME.